Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Outer Banks

We spent the last weekend in Nags Head in the Outer Banks of NC. The weather was not kind to us but we tried to make the best of it. We visited the Bodie and Hatteras Lighthouses. We ate a few great restaurants. Did a little school shopping and then on Sunday morning we were finally able to play in the surf. I love the waves and boogie boarding. We had a blast seeing who could travel the farthest with each wave. My knees are all bruised/scraped from riding in until they scraped bottom. Youngest daughter (the fish that she is) discovered body surfing and said to heck with the boogie board. We couldn't get her out of the water.



Since we had to vacate the motel by 11am we packed up and headed onto Roanoke. We visited the Lost Colony site and toured the Elizabethan Garden that was put up in honor of the first settlers.



We then headed into the town of Manteo where I actually got to visit a yarn store! I don't' get to do that very often when we travel it seems. It was a lovely store called Fine Yarns and Gallery at Kimbeeba. Quite a name but a lovely store. I bought 3 skeins Mirasol Qina and 1 skein of Ella Rae Lace Merino. The Ella Rae reminded me of the beach and seaweed. So it is currently being knit into the Seaweed Socks by Wendy Johnson. How perfect. They are coming along nicely and I love the colorway. A wonderful thing about this store was they gave a 10% discount for NC residents! Yeah, a bargain on vacation yarn!



I'll post pic's of the socks soon, hopefully along with a very bright scarf I've been working on.

1 comment:

  1. I have heard that yarn shop in Manteo is pretty awesome.

    I just discovered ella rae lace merino this weekned on an excursion to Hillsborough Yarn Shop. I haven't seen the green yet...I am knitting a sweater with the tealish colorway right now.

    ReplyDelete