Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Dyeing is Fun!



Last night I dyed up the ugly shawl. It's actually the Milkweed Shawl knit in Sunkissed Sands BMFA Lightweight sock yarn. I loved the yarn in the skein but it was ugly knit up. So after months of procrastinating and obtaining supplies, I dyed up the shawl using an acid dye in the color chestnut. It turned out a lovely rich brown with red hues. The dye bath was not all used up when I pulled the shawl out so I threw in a skein of Knit Picks Bare worsted weight and I ended up with a beautiful muted pink. I love them both and now the shawl is no longer ugly and I have fresh new skein of yarn.


Dyeing was a lot of fun. I have dyed yarn before with the kids using Kool-Aid but the colors are pretty minimal and not really my style. The acid dyeing was easy and the colors so rich and beautiful. I could definitely enjoy experimenting with this and adding another hobby. At a minimum, I will no longer hide from an ugly yarn. If I don't like it, I'll change it.

1 comment: